Carolina Fintech Hub is excited to announce its Fall 2019 University Hackathon! We are looking for teams of bright, motivated, and capable students to solve real-world problems. This intensive month-long journey will conclude with the top 3 teams presenting at this year’s Venture135 conference in Charlotte, NC, where the winning team will go home with $10,000.
Our sponsors are excited to use this hackathon as a platform to foster innovation and recruit great talent. On top of the cash prize, we encourage students to think of this as a merit-based opportunity to find a meaningful career in technology. We encourage all participants to work with mentors and coaches to showcase both their projects and themselves as prospective new hires.
Students are allowed the freedom to express creativity within their business case and are encouraged to think outside the box in terms of developing solutions — with an emphasis on using the latest technology like machine learning or blockchain.
This being said, the final judging criteria will take into account solutions pertaining to solving problems that meet the following themes:
- Personalize your banking experience: Customers want to feel their banking experience is tailored to their life. Make the banking experience truly yours. Help yourself and other consumers better manage their financial life. Choose from the typical financial service offerings such as spending, lending, financial management, investing, or make it your own.
- Insure your favorite thing: Do you have a sentimental object you love and want to protect? Are there items you use in your everyday that desperately need insurance but aren’t currently being offered coverage? What would you insure and how would you insure it? Make sure to include pricing, risk, and don’t be afraid to get technical here if you’re a team with great statisticians!
- Fintech for social good: Are there groups of people who could benefit from a fintech solution yet to be created? Prove it! Show us how our banking, insurance, and payment partners can expand their reach and provide a social positive to an underserved community. Define a problem, prototype a solution, and take the first step in making the world a better place!
Registration — Opens September 1st
Registration is now open! Apply using the form below:
Campus Finals — Must be completed by October 25th
Universities will be responsible for identifying two champion teams to represent their school. The format for which your university identifies a champion is completely up to the discretion of each individual campus, however we have included the final judging rubric at the bottom of this document. Please reach out to your respective university lead in order to know the exact details of your specific university. If you aren’t sure who your university lead is, please contact the CFH team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regional Finals — Complete by Friday, Nov 1st
Winners of the campus finals will move on to the virtual regional competition. Teams will be allowed to continue working on their projects as they see fit, and will be matched with a mentor from one of our sponsor companies. The mentors will help take their submissions to the next level and will help students create compelling business solutions. Teams will be expected to submit a virtual presentation and supporting documentation by Friday, Nov 1st.
In the submission, students will create a 5-10 minute video presentation highlighting their business proposal and solution. Code and additional technical detail will be accepted in whatever format is preferred by the student.
Once all submissions have been reviewed, the CFH judging committee will announce the top three finalists on Friday, Nov 8th. The top three teams will present at the Venture135 Conference in Charlotte, NC on Thursday, Nov 21st for their chance to win $10,000 (lodging will be provided).
Hackathon Submission Rules and Guidelines
3 – 5 People
Each team must submit their presentation and have no code changes by the given deadline for each round.
Students will submit up to a 10 minute video along with whatever supplementary material they deem pertinent to their submission.
Each team must provide:
- A presentation
- A demoable product
- Link to Github Repository
- Any other documentation the team thinks is relevant
Teams will be judged on a 5 point scale across four categories. Use the average score to rank the teams. In the case of a tie, judges will convene and determine a consensus winner.
- Applicability to the Hackathon Challenge Topics (1-5): How closely does the solution align with one of the three challenge themes?
- Uniqueness of the solution (1-5): How novel is the solution’s approach?
- Real-world application (1-5): How likely is this to be a solution used by consumers? Do you think the idea has the potential as a stand alone company or vendor of incumbent institution?
- Use of cutting-edge technology to solve problem (1-5) Companies successfully leveraging new technologies as a material component of their solution should be given preference. (I.e. machine learning, blockchain).
Finals — Nov 21st Venture135 sponsored by Carolina Fintech Hub
The Venture135 Conference is one of CFH’s annual marquee events, bringing together business leaders and executives for lively discussions around all of the industry’s latest trends and insights.
During the event, we will allow the top three finalist teams an opportunity to present their work in front of this high profile audience on the main stage. The judges will meet, cast a verdict, and award a champion that we will announce during the event.
2018 Hackathon Highlights:
In 2018, the Fall CFH Hackathon included 150 students from 7 different universities. To learn more, follow the link to the article below: