YTAC is a first-of-its-kind workforce training program for youth that intertwines e-Sports competition and game development with a custom development curriculum that exposes High School students to career pathways in technology. Said another way, this program meets students in areas that naturally interest them, and uses e-Sports and friendly competition as a gateway to STEM, and how technology and coding can offer an exciting career and life. YTAC Cohort Five launches on December 6th, 2021, with registration now open! Here are some of the exciting things you will have the opportunity to do in the YTAC program, focusing on esports, STEM, and community, including a video highlighting some of our favorite aspects of the program:
- Compete in a game development competition for a prize pool, using Unreal Engine
- Have access to a programming tutor and lessons covering important computer science topics
- Hear from exciting industry speakers- last cohort’s speakers included people from eSports (Hastr0), the CIA, and Google.
- Earn preferential status in the exclusive YTAC Summer cohort if you perform strongly
- Be featured (And possibly even stream yourself) on the YTAC Twitch page
- Compete in exciting esports competitions for a prize pool against other members of the cohort
- Play new games with friends on the server
- Have access to an exclusive YTAC-only Minecraft SMP server
- Join a highly supportive community that will provide you with valuable friendships and professional connections!
- Compete in off-season programming and esports challenges after you complete your cohort, joining YTAC alumni
The Carolina Fintech Hub (CFH) and Charlotte Executive Leadership Council (CELC), in partnership with the Live Oak Bank, nCino, Charlotte Mecklenburg-Schools, the Emerald Foundation, and New Hanover County Schools are now accepting students to be participants in this exciting program. See below for information on how to register!
Oh… and there will also be opportunities for participants to win cash prizes, add an impressive line item to their resumes, and have the opportunity to be pre-selected into the Carolina Fintech Hub Workforce Investment Network (WIN) Program.
YTAC in the News:
- From Gamer to Developer to… The Sky’s the Limit!
- Youth Technology Apprenticeship Camp Now Offered to New Hanover County Schools students – Ways 2 Rock
- New Program Offers Economics Mobility for High School Seniors
- COVID-19 impact gives CMS students accelerated opportunity to paid tech apprenticeship
- The Charlotte Phoenix and Y-TAC Make the Most out of COVID-19
Below is a timeline for candidates interested in participating in YTAC:
- Applicant Registration — Available NOW! The form is available below and should take less than 10 minutes to apply. Please keep in mind that the information we are collecting will only be used to prepare YTAC staff for the upcoming needs of the participants who will be joining us for YTAC, and will in no way impact a prospect’s candidacy.
- Candidate Screening — Once an applicant has successfully registered using the form below, they will be contacted via the e-mail address submitted regarding candidate screening. If you registered and are waiting to hear from us, please be patient as our staff works through all applications.
- Launch of Y-TAC Cohort 5 — Once the cohort starts on December 6th, we will be working with participants several hours per week for roughly three weeks, with the program scheduled to end on December 20th.
Fill in the information below and you will be entered into the candidate pool. We will then connect directly with you via email for all additional next steps. Please remember that the information you submit will not be shared with anyone and will in no way impact your candidacy within the Y-TAC program.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I know if I am eligible to participate in Y-TAC? All current high school students are eligible to participate (9th – 12th grade & recently graduated students)!
- If I am accepted, will it cost me money to participate? No – it won’t cost you a penny. In fact, you will be competing for prize money.
- Where do I have to go to participate in Y-TAC? This program is designed in a way so that you can participate either virtually or from our in-person locations in Charlotte and Wilmington which are equipped with gaming PCs for student use (Spaces are TBA).
- What if I’ve never played video games before? Not a problem. We have some of the best esports coaches in the business who will be dedicated to teaching you gaming fundamentals each week. It will feel a lot like you are joining a varsity sports team for your school – only in this case its esports.
- What if I’ve never done any coding before? Not a problem. We will teach you the fundamentals of coding in a series of instructor-led sessions. Participants will have the opportunity to complete hands-on projects, collaborate with their peers, and interact with real-world examples of how STEM helps to inform and address complex business and societal issues.
- Will I really be building my own video game during Y-TAC? Yes! You will be using Epic Games’ Unreal Engine to build your own video game and compete against your fellow Y-TAC students for cash.
- Will we compete against other students and schools during Y-TAC? Yes! One of the coolest parts of Y-TAC is each week you will not only have a chance to compete against other schools and regions in a tournament-style bracket, but it will be streamed live and cast with commentators so all of your classmates can watch and root you on. Since so many students have lost so many rites of passage during COVID, we feel that providing participants the opportunity to compete and engage with others in a fun, interactive manner is a critical component of our mission.
- Why is participating in Y-TAC a big deal? Participants will have fun competing in esports, developing essential STEM skills, and learning more about potential career opportunities. Some students may even be offer pre-acceptance into the WIN program, which pays you for an additional six months of training and places you in a new career that starts at $55,000 a year.
Winter 2021 Cohort Registration